What: 25th Birthday of Local 1000 AFM at our Birthplace, the Great Labor Arts Exchange
Who: Local 1000 Members
When: June 21-24, 2018
Where: Tommy Douglas Conference Center, 10000 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20903 https://www.tommydouglascenter.com/
Local 1000 will be a featured partner in the Great Labor Arts Exchange Gathering
- Thursday: John McCutcheon, past president, will be presented with the Labor Heritage Foundation Joe Hill Award
- A track of Local 1000 workshops will be offered alongside of the GLAE workshop track, Local 1000 members can participate in the Local 1000 workshops or any of the other GLAE programming
- GLAE programming will include a plenary session celebrating the history and origins of Local 1000 at the Great Labor Arts Exchange twenty-five years ago.
- The GLAE also features a song contest with cash prizes of $200 per category. We encourage Local 1000 members to apply! The Contest Application is available here
- The full programming schedule is available here
- The Local 1000 Member-Only Retreat will include educational and strategizing sessions on Local 1000 – where we are as a union and where we want to go
- Membership Meeting open to all Local 1000 members, whether or not you register for the retreat
- an evening celebration at Tonal Place, Charlie Pilzer’s Mastering and Recording studio in nearby Takoma Park
Attendees are responsible for arranging their own housing.
Rooms are available at the Tommy Douglas Conference Center https://www.tommydouglascenter.com/ (240) 645-4000
Local 1000 will also be coordinating a limited number of home stay options with hosts who live in the area. Please check off on the registration form if you require or can offer housing.
Home stays will be limited and will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact Joe Uehlein to get on the list: [email protected]
Registration for the GLAE includes Friday and Saturday lunch. The Tommy Douglas Conference Center has a cafeteria and there are also local options not too far away.
The registration rate for the GLAE is $200. Payment for GLAE Registration can be made here.
Registration for the Sunday Local 1000 Member retreat will be $100. Payment for the Local 1000 Member Retreat can be made here.
*Note GLAE also offers a separate daily commuter rate, a student rate, and senior/retirees rate (for those over 62) that may be more cost effective. Please visit their website and register for GLAE through them if you wish to take advantage of any of the other options: https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/great-labor-arts-exchange-2018